How to use beeswax for hair care
Since ancient times, beeswax has been a basic cosmetic ingredient. It has numerous uses for the skin, but it can also be beneficial for your hair.
From moisturizing to keeping flyaways, the natural formula can work wonders for both facial and head hair. Oddly enough, it can also stimulate hair growth and help with hair removal at the same time.
Here you will find everything you need to know about using beeswax on your hair.
What is beeswax?
Beeswax is produced by worker bees that form a comb to store honey for the colony.
Moisturizing vitamin A is found in beeswax along with trace amounts of antibacterial agents.
This natural product has a long medicinal history. In ancient Egypt, it was used to treat burns, wounds, and joint pain. A famous Chinese medicine book even listed it as a main ingredient with purported benefits for diet and skin aging.
Unlike some natural ingredients, beeswax has little chance of irritating or clogging the skin, making it a safe option for most people.
How does it benefit your hair?
Beeswax can help hair in several ways:
- Hydration: One of the biggest benefits is moisture. The vitamin A content in beeswax helps hydrate hair, while its overall formula locks in that moisture.
- Smoothing: People who find their hair difficult to manage also use beeswax to smooth flyaways, keep styles intact, and smooth their hair. It is particularly useful for natural hair, as well as twisted and braided styles.
- Closing split ends: Its ability to seal strands makes beeswax a good way to hide split ends, although the only way to permanently get rid of split ends is to cut them off.
- Promote Hair Growth: Beeswax can also be used to promote hair growth. A 2016 study found that a hair wax containing beeswax significantly increased hair length after daily use for 30 days.
- Soothes the scalp: Beeswax can also have a positive effect on the scalp. It has been shown that it can alleviate the symptoms of skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and dandruff.
You can buy pure beeswax or a hair product that contains it. If you opt for the latter, look for a natural formula that contains additional vitamins for maximum benefits.